About Me

My photo
ME: Dedicated & determined Jesus-follower, crazy-in-love with my husband, devoted to my kids, Nammy to Kate, Ludovic & Eloise, idea person, eternity thinker, passionate about missions, hot curry maniac, fanatical about all things "pioneer", daisy-crazy, trusting God for constant growth and grace in my life.

11/04/2015

real joy


what is it, at the core of who we are, that drives us?
what really motivates all that we do?  say?  work for?
is it a 'pursuit of happiness' that we live for? 

sometimes we feel happy … and other times we don't.
and sometimes, when we look and seem happy, we really aren't.
happiness is such a superficial emotion.
it is so dependent on things that are uncertain in life.
instead of pursuing happiness - live in contentment.
contentment brings a real, deep, lasting joy.

real joy has no place for worry.  worrying about the future robs us from the riches of 'today.'  
i am prone to worry, and i am good at it.
worrying about my family ...
worrying about my relationships …
worrying about world conditions ...
worrying about my health …
worrying about superficial things ...
worry steals my joy.  
my escape can be found in only one place … God's word.
meditating on His love and goodness and resting my assurance of who He is chases every worry away.  my contentment is rooted in my pursuit of knowing God.  
it all begins and ends there.

real joy does not agonize over the past.  one of my favourite quotes is from Bonnie Mohr:
it is a true saying that we cannot change the past, only learn from it.
'today' is what we are given, and today is what we should live in.

real joy has no room for procrastination.  live in 'today.'
forgive today.
laugh today.
love today.
help today.
pray today.
do the right thing today.

real joy is found in being compassionate and understanding.  it is knowing that i cannot 'fix' people.  it is not my job.  it's God's job.  it's only my job to love and pray for them.  only God knows their heart - only He knows the path they've walked on.  
trusting in His love for them must be enough for me.

real joy is found in wisdom.  wisdom helps me to set good priorities in my life.  
time is the one thing that cannot be regained.  using my time wisely does not very often mean that i have scheduled every minute for 'productivity.'  there is wisdom in being still.  there is wisdom in resting.  
turn off the t.v.
get off the internet.
silence the cell.
de-clutter life.
make wise choices - today, and then the next day, and then the next …
one day at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment